In summer, children can participate in our childrens’ athletics programme. Childrens’ athletics is a track and field programme for 5 to 14 year olds that runs from October to March, and is designed to teach kids basic running, jumping and throwing skills. (In winter, children participate in the club’s winter programme – see our list of activities.)
The programme includes club nights on Monday nights and weekend inter-club competition events.
To join, download the registration form and come to the registration night at the start of the season. If you miss registration night you can post it to us or simply come along and see us at one of our club nights.
- Where: The club nights are held at Grenada North Park (Jamaica Drive, Grenada North — just off the motorway turn-off at Tawa). At Grenada North we have more room for a better track and less conflict with other sports than we have next to our clubrooms at Alex Moore Park in Johnsonville.
- When: The club nights are held on Monday evenings from 5.30pm to 6.45pm and run throughout the summer from October to March (except in the school holidays).
- The programme: Children take part in various stations throughout the evening such as sprints (60m through to 400m), middle distance for those aged 10 and older (800m and 1500m), shot put, discus, long jump, high jump and circuits. Club nights are a mix of training and competitions culminating in club champs at the end of the season.
- Five and six year olds: Kelly Sports runs the nursery grade athletics programme for our 5 and 6 year olds (with assistance from our very helpful parents) where we have a range of run, jump, throw activities the kids love.
Club Night Programmes
Club night programmes will be made available once the season starts. There will be an 'A', 'B' and 'C' programme that we will repeat throughout the season.
We need volunteers to help run our club nights. This can include roles such as time keeping, running an activity or age grade coordinators where you simply have to take a group of children from one activity to another during club night. If you are interested in helping out on Monday nights PLEASE contact Jo Murray by email or on 232 9409. You don't need to be an experienced athletics coach — we can show you what to do.
Interclubs for 7 to 14 year olds
There are also various interclub events held throughout the season at a range of venues such as Newtown Park, Paraparaumu Domain, Kura Street Park, Adventure Park and the Petone Recreation Ground.
- These are usually held on Sundays from 10am to approximately 1pm (you don't have to stay for the whole time — or you can turn up later)
- Kids get to compete against young athletes from other clubs.
- The interclubs are a great family day out. The kids love it — it gives them a chance to make new friends and compete in a friendly environment.
- Take a picnic and make it a family day out.
- The North Island and South Island Colgate Games are held in January each year. The 2012/13 events are in Inglewood and Invercargill. Entries for these close in early November. If you are interested in finding out more contact Jo Murray by email or on 232 9409.
Additional athletics training in preparation for interclubs
Amanda Goldsmith runs additional sessions at 4.30pm on most Monday club nights for any athletes (7 years and upwards) who are thinking about or want to compete at interclubs. She is an experienced coach who is fantastic with young children who want to learn as much as they can. Amanda covers all disciplines including running, jumping and throwing events. Contact Jo Murray by email or on 232 9409.
- Cancellation number for both club nights and interclub events: 0832 95590 (calls cost 12 cents)